August 30, 2005

monument

Passing
in close order -
monuments.
White danby marble,
42 inches high;
13 inches wide;
One each.

A small woman rocks
the sanding arm
back and forth
making chalk
of mother's work.
Precise hollows
for the black paint
that will spell a name:
my son
born here
died there
too young.


© 2005 Catnapping

3 comments:

Rhiannon said...

Hey interesting poetry..good! I'll come back..hope you check my blog out also!..this is not spam or advertisement, I am a "real blogger"..:o)..drop by and say hi sometime..

With Angel Blessings,
Rhiannon

Anonymous said...

Cat

I really liked your tribute to Sandalphon. You really should post more poetry on Slate. You always were talented but I see a marked improvement in these last 3. This poem for example would be a perfect poem to post on BOTF. Steve

Anonymous said...

Steve: I did post it...but on the P-Fray, and got some great reviews. Most notable were those from Zinya and Montfort.

Thank you.