I held him.
Pale and plump,
skin like cold rubber
Soft blue lips
on the verge of
a quiet smile
Thick lashes resting
on dry cheeks
Ears deaf
to my prayers.
I kissed
the bottoms of his feet,
the palms of his hands.
And I pressed my grief against his lips.
Then I covered his body
with crisp white cotton
and tucked it under
his bushy red beard
to hide the hole
they put in his neck,
too late to save his life.
© 2003 Catnapping
July 19, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
This moves me in a way I can't even begin to explain.
One of the best you've ever written.
Sandy
i felt the pain of the poem today-it overwhelms me.
thank you.
This is very powerful. I worked in a hospital for a short time and know that awful feeling of helplessness mixed with the resolve of "this is how it is."
Very touching. I was a paramedic for 8 years and this just hits home for me. Thank you for sharing this.
Post a Comment